Re: Connecting those interested in getting GT.M into the Debianrepositories

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:40:55PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

> Unicode version: GT.M itself requires ICU version 3.6 or higher.
> However, there is a defect in the way Debian packages ICU, by putting
> the version number in the package name (e.g., libicu36).  So, there is
> no way to define a dependency for GT.M of version 3.6 or greater.

Indeed.

Does this not ask for either a meta-package "icu" or a
"Provides: icu" in each of the libicu's ?  Andreas ?

OTOH, Debian Squeeze comes with at least libicu42.

> recommended rather than required.  However, anyone today starting to
> write a new application today, and using ISO-8859 character sets that
> use the high order bit is asking for trouble when internationalizing
> tomorrow, is asking for trouble.  So, it may be better to just require ICU.]

+1

> GT.M versions: I see no reason to package anything other than the
> latest, V5.4-001.

+1

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346