Re: GMAP -- Align mRNA and EST sequences to a genome

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 05:31:12PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > Since this license is not compatible with
> >   the GPL, I recommend that you chose another license for your packaging work, in
> >   order to avoid headaches in the future.
>
> Can you recommend a license that is DFSG free and compatible with the
> upstream license?

I'm quite frequently using:

  Files: debian/*
  License: Same as <program name>

(in case it <program has a DFSG free license).  Otherwise in most cases
BSD license will fit.

> The default location can be overridden by a command line option (-D)
> or an environment variable (GMAPDB).
>
> How about /var/cache/gmap?
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARCACHEAPPLICATIONCACHEDATA

Sounds good.  I'd recommend a wrapper around gmap which explicitely
makes use of this option.

> I edited and reformatted your description. How's this look?

>  This package contains the programs GMAP and GSNAP as well as
>  utilities to manage genome databases in GMAP/GSNAP format.
>  GMAP (Genomic Mapping and Alignment Program) is a tool for aligning
>  EST, mRNA and cDNA sequences.
>  GSNAP (Genomic Short-read Nucleotide Alignment Program) is a tool for
>  aligning single and paired-end transcriptome reads.
>  Both tools can use a database of
>  * known splice sites and identify novel splice sites.
>  * known single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs).
> GSNAP can align bisulfite-treated DNA.

Please mind the spacing!  I guess the lines with " * known" in the beginning
need an additional blank in front to make sure it is a correct itemizing.
Also last line needs a space in front.

Thanks for working on this

     Andreas.

--