Re: bullseye / libgdbm6:amd64 is a catastrophgy

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 01:41:36PM +0200, Christopher Huhn wrote:
> [SNIP a bunch of good recommdnations for getting a patch accepted]

Definitely, that is the way to go if someone wants to get a bug fixed in
a release before it becomes LTS.

> That said, LTS point releases do contain functional changes that are not
> security related, so there seems to be no general security-fixes-only policy
> for LTS either. Is that correct?

As Sylvain noted, we do fix non-security bugs in LTS from time to time.
However, it is very uncommon. There are no LTS point releases because
once a release passes from the security team to the LTS team, then the
release managers also no longer have responsibility for it. The parts of
the archive which are used for producing point releases (e.g., the -pu
upload target, and the associated tools for managing and making
releases, which includes things like installer images) are not available
to the LTS team. We would not have the manpower to manage all of that,
even if it were available to us.

As I said elsewhere in the thread, the final point release is made
shortly before the transition over to LTS team responsibility and then
after that it is normal "security" uploads only (which, as already
stated, can occasionally include some non-security bug fixes but
generally not).

Regards,

-Roberto

--