Re: live-setup | Reintroduce regular building of live-build images (!2)

On 28/11/2022 00:49, Steve McIntyre wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 06:15:08PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:

Now I can see what you're do in your script, I'm working on merging to
something more current.

I've just remembered one thing that used to cause major issues with
live-build: multiple image builds in parallel would sometimes trip
over each other. For us on release weekends, this is a critical
feature: we have a large build machine to make things go fast. I hope
this is now fixed in live-build, I guess we'll see!

If I did it right, every single build will run in its own directory, so they will not collide. (See the line with 'export BUILDDIR') For utmost speed, I assume that the environment variable 'http_proxy' is set. See also https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleInstalls/LiveImages.

Thanks for your work so far! I'm hoping to get something working in
the weekly image builds soon.

You've done a lot, I didn't intend to bring you so much additional work.

I've made quite a bit of progress - see my recent commits in the
live-setup repo. One thing that I'm not convinced about in your script
is building d-i as part of a build, I'd be happier to have the option
for grabbing builds from d-i.debian.org like we use elsewhere (for the
weekly builds), and then of course we'll pull from the archive
directly for release builds.

I'll try to find some time to comment on your additional changes soon.

A few thoughts, primarily focussed on reproducibility:
* I've used the git rebuild for d-i, because the d-i.debian.org images are fleeting, and cannot be used for long-term reproducibility tests. The git rebuild also contains a kernel detection part, so it would also produce a runnable d-i, even if the kernel version was not updated yet in git. * I've used the snapshot service instead of deb.debian.org also for long-term reproducibility reasons. deb.debian.org-based live images can only be reproduced within the same DAK-sync (every 6 hours)

With kind regards,
Roland Clobus