Re: Issue installing Debian Live on hardware that supports many other distros

Hi!

lucasjkr@me.com wrote:

>I havenâ??t submitted anything about this previously, as I thought for
>whatever reason I was the only user impacted by this issue, but there
>seem to be other users posting on Reddit with similar issues which
>could be linked.
>
>My problem is with the Debian 11.4 Live Image installer.
>
>The installation works like a charm on KVM-based virtual machines (I
>have proxmox in my home lab), the issue is that on physical hardware,
>it the Calamares installer doesnâ??t write a boot record, leaving the
>system in an unboottable state after installation.
>
>This has occurred with two of my Dell Laptops, an XPS 9575 as well as
>a Latitude E5470. Iâ??ve used Legacy and UEFI modes, no
>improvement. Both my laptops have no problem installing and running:
>Fedora 36, RHEL 8.4 (and clones), Ubuntu 22.04, Manjaro, Pop OS
>22.04. Literally every other distro Iâ??ve tested installs fine, the
>issue is solely with Debian Live images

Hmmm. This sounds suspiciously like a a firmware bug that we've seen
before with XPS machines: https://bugs.debian.org/905319

If you boot the live image, could you run "sudo efibootmgr -v" from a
terminal and grab the output please?

"We're the technical experts.  We were hired so that management could
 ignore our recommendations and tell us how to do our jobs."  -- Mike Andrews