Re: Suspicious Debian 10.0.0 download behaviour.

On 08/09/2019 02:46 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Rick wrote:
when I tried to download Debian 10.0.0 via Distrowatch I was surprised to be
asked for my admin password at the end of the download plus there was
another window requesting something else.
[...]
The original download link from Distrowatch was:
(1)https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/10.0.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso [cdimage.debian.org]
This redirected to the following Swedish site:
(2)https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/10.0.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso/ [caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se]

I tested

   wget https://caesar.ftp.acc.umu.se/debian-cd/10.0.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso

which asked for no passwords and popped no windows.
So it has to be assumed that your download procedure is to blame.

What operating system did you use for downloading ?
What download tool (web browser) ?

How did you get around the 403 "Forbidden" error when trying to view
   https://distrowatch.com/
by a web browser ?

I had no problem accessing https://distrowatch.com/ using
SeaMonkey 2.49.4 {executable downloaded from SeaMonkey site}
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711182954

I surf with JavaScript and cookies disabled.
I have no add-ons etc installed.