Debian 7.0.0 "Live" images

Hello,
   I normally use netinst for installations. However I have downloaded and
burned to disc all of the Debian 7.0.0 Live images with the intention of
showing the various desktops to people who do not know Debian or Linux so
they can decide which they prefer.
   Both the i386 Gnome and KDE versions refused to open without a user
password and both refused to shutdown without a root password.
   Both the i386 standard and rescue versions will shutdown using "sudo
shutdown -h now" (but not without using sudo), then ask me to remove the
disc but did not open or unlock the drive tray.
   /live/memtest is present but does not appear on the menu.
   Is there a simple help file on the disc? Preferably plain text so that it
can be read from any OS, and if possible also appear on the menu.
   I have installed four independant bootable versions of Debian on a single
desktop computer, but my laptop does not have a hard drive that is large
enough.

Thanks to all concerned

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk