Re: Dealing with Lintian tags untestable using standard Debian packaging tools

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:00 PM Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org> wrote:

> >     missing-runtime-tests-field
>
> I'm surprised we can't check this one though; it is referring to the
> autopkgtest control file, not the debian/control file, and thus
> shouldn't cause dpkg-source to croak.

Sorry I did not get back to you before filing !225 [1], which removed
this tag. I had been unsuccessful in testing it [2], and did not see
it emitted for any packages on lindsay. Please let's add this tag
again if anyone can trigger it using standard tools.

I was somewhat more casual when removing
'syntax-error-in-debian-tests-control'. While I was unable to trigger
the tag with common syntax violations [4], it is actually emitted in
two packages [5] for which all of d/tests/control is completely
commented out. [6] [7] For those two packages, Lintian will now croak.
To avoid that, I will soon file a merge request to reinstate the tag.
My favorite solution, however, would be to test for the fully
commented, i.e empty, condition in 'dpkg-source'. Perhaps we could
also rename the tag.

Kind regards,
Felix

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/merge_requests/225
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/commit/ff6a5fef762146027dfa295f73503476fe76535f
(error message from dpkg-source included)
[3] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/missing-runtime-tests-field.html
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/commit/4f019cb2c1d754cdcb1c601f34b85d5015b2d90d
(error message from dpkg-source included)
[5] https://lintian.debian.org/tags/syntax-error-in-debian-tests-control.html
[6] https://sources.debian.org/src/freeipa/4.7.2-3/debian/tests/control/
[7] https://sources.debian.org/src/kiten/4:17.08.3-1/debian/tests/control/