Re: Changes as first-class objects

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:

> Even if we have both the .dsc and debian/control, I think we should
> check them both.

> .dsc files, just like .changes, are generated by a certain set of tools
> that change as time passes by and they can be modified by a person or
> other tools.  That's what makes me vote in favour of checking both parts
> independently; we can't tell for sure that they are both equivalent to
> each other.

Hm, that has some merit, but it has the separate problem that we then
generate duplicate tags for lots of common problems.  Maybe we can find
some sneaky way to avoid that.

> If we check the .dsc separately, then use it to find the other files
> that constitute the source package and from that point ignore the
> existence of .dsc files we would end with a consistent system.

We extract source packages with dpkg-source (and have to, I think), so we
wouldn't be directly finding the other files.  But otherwise, yes, I think
you're right, if we can figure out how to not generate duplicate tags for
the same problem in both *.dsc and in debian/control.