Re: EULAs and "manifestations of assent" [was: EULAs and the DFSG]

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:03:44AM +0100, Sunnanvind Fenderson wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
> > In my opinion, the DFSG should not be interpreted in a way that
> > legitimizes any restrictions on use, and this is what the FSF's "freedom
> > zero" and DFSG 6 is about.
>
> The FSF freedom zero, yes, but I don't see that in DFSG 6.

  No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

  The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
  specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from
  being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

How do you propose to implement use restrictions without actually
preventing people from using the program to some specific end?

Interestingly, though, a *general* prohibition on usage is not
specifically forbidden by the DFSG.

> I see nothing in the DFSG which prevents the APSL and that's what's
> prompted this thread (even though I messed up and started talking
> about EULA-stuff, because I kinda suspect that's in the APSL somewhere
> - it's very unclear).

Sure there is.  You can't use it in any given way which might preclude,
or render unnecessary, your participation in the acceptance ceremony.

Say, reading the source code instead of executing it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I must despise the world which does
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    not know that music is a higher