Re: Linking a GPL'd library to a LGPL'd one

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 03:03:50PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> My problem here is the following: let us say that L1 is released under the
> LGPL. Now, imagine that some non-free software links against L1.  "No
> problem, L1 is LGPL'd", you would say.  But, hey!, L1 links against L2,
> which is GPL'd.  This means, that, in practical terms, L1 can only be used
> by packages with GPL-compatible licenses, which means that the licensing
> terms of L1 are, after all, equivalent to the GPL.  So, although L1 is
> released under the LGPL, it is actually GPL'd (by the fact that is links
> against L2).

The difference becomes significant if someone takes part of L1 and uses
it in some other project.  Then the dependency on L2 may not apply.
Even if the dependency is extreme, the other project would reimplement
L1 under a different license, and then use L2 under the LGPL.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.