Re: GPL/LGPL confusion

>> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 > There's what they claim is the MIT X11 license, which doesn't match the
 > X11 license on xfree86.org's website. I choose to call that the GNU X11
 > license to make it clear what I'm talking about.

 This is the MIT X11 license:

 : Copyright 1989 by The Massachusetts Institute of Technology
 :
 : Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
 : documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
 : provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
 : both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
 : supporting documentation, and that the name of MIT not be used in
 : advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the software
 : without specific prior written permission.  M.I.T. makes no
 : representation about the suitability of this software for any purpose.
 : It is provided "as is" without any express or implied warranty.

 This is the Open Group's license:

 : Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 : copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
 : "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
 : without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
 : distribute, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons
 : to whom the Software is furnished to do so, provided that the above
 : copyright notice(s) and this permission notice appear in all copies of
 : the Software and that both the above copyright notice(s) and this
 : permission notice appear in supporting documentation.

 This is the XFree86 license:

 : Copyright (C) 1994-2001 The XFree86 Project, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 :
 : Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
 : copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
 : "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
 : without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
 : distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
 : permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
 : the following conditions:
 :
 : The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
 : in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

 The FSF site calls the Open Group's license the "MIT X11 License".

--
Marcelo             | Too many people want to *have written*.
mmagallo@debian.org |         -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)