Problem with font licenses (a2ps bug caused by xfonts-scalable change)

Gentlemen,

I received a bug report (#91856) on a2ps for its contributed ogonkify program
which likes to uses Courier font. However, we no longer have those due to a
narrower interpretation if the license.

Ogonkify's author asks if we could consider a more liberal definition for
*fonts* and other artwork (as opposed to source code, say). I feel this has
merit. Comments?

Please CC me on replies as I'm not debian-legal regular, and maybe even CC
the bug file #91856.

Thanks, Dirk

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Dirk, hello to all,

DE>  This package is missing three fonts from the XFree86 source archives
DE>  because the license terms on the fonts do not meet the Debian Free
DE>  Software Guidelines; they are the Type1 fonts Adobe Utopia, IBM Courier,
DE>  and Bigelow & Holmes (B&H) Lucidux.

For your information, the licence of these fonts is fairly liberal,
putting no restriction whatsoever on use and distribution.  On the
other hand, the copyright holders of these fonts do put certain limits
on your rights to redistribute modified versions.

We are looking forward to including more fonts under similar licenses
in future versions of XFree86.

Dirk, any chance you could push for a change in policy?  I think we
need the DFSG to explicitly provide an exception for fonts and artwork.

While waiting for that, Branden, is there a chance you could at least
put these fonts in non-free?

DE> This might mean that ogonkify no longer works under Debian. :-/

No, actually there's no problem with ``ogonkify''.  Only the ``-C''
flag will no longer work; the ``-A'' flag will have a very similar
effect, and doesn't rely on any supplementary fonts.

The ``-C'' flag was implemented at a time when ``-A'' had fairly
incomplete support.  This is no longer the case, and ``-A'' gives
quite satisfactory results nowadays.

A2ps does the equivalent of ``ogonkify -A'', so there's no issue with
that either.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz

P.S. Dirk, could you note my current e-mail address?  Thanks.

--- End Message ---
--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.