Re: very poor performance of DVD using vesa or fglrx-driver

i know this was just posted up but...

it really sounds like the dvd isn't running in DMA mode. i had this
problem on my thinkpad at first, dvd would be choppy as you suggest,
music i played would also be. fixed it by enabling DMA on the drives -
in my case it was actually using the wrong kernel module for the drives.

check the output of dmesg (as suggested by another) or the output of
hdparm -I

hope this helps.

Takis