Re: Touchpad functionality dissappeared for no apparent reason!

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:53:02AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On September 28, 2004 02:27 pm, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:43:08PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
[...]
> > yes, it will... compiled-in modules will be initialized obviously before
> > what you load when the boot process ends, while we need to load psmouse
> > _after_ the usb controller module.
>
> Except that it wasn't working before - but that must be because I didn't have
> uhci installed.  I had worked out the need to get hid and evdev installed
> before psmouse, when I was first working with a 2.5 kernel, at the time uhci
> didn't seem to be a problem.

the same happened here. I think it stopped working around 2.6.3. The
root problem is the Legacy USB support of bios (I can't unset
that option on my laptop Vaio GR7/k). Some code that worked around the
problem has been removed from vanilla kernels.
Now with 2.6.7 I'm able to get my usb mouse and touchpad working
together, being the usb mouse connected at boot or not, but loading
modules in the correct order. I suppose the kernel people found a better
way to deal with the Legacy USB support :)

see this thread also:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108211185919825&w=2

--
mattia