Re: Re: USB CD burner

>> Anyone has any experience with these external cases?

>I just ordered one a few days ago that should be here next Monday. Mine
>in particular is a firewire one. I'll post my experiences on here. I'm
>going to be using it with a Sony DVD-ROM drive as well as a Plextor
>CD-RW, and possibly a 120GB hard drive.

Dear Alex. First of all, my excuses for bothering you!
Do you have any results? I mean: does it work?  :)
Cannot wait to buy such a thing myself!

>Also, in reply to your initial post, all USB 2.0 devices should be able
>to run in USB 1.1 mode, however speed will still be a concern. If this
>is going to be for use on your laptop, and you don't already have a
>firewire or USB 2 port on it, I'd suggest looking at getting some of the
>PCMCIA FireWire and/or USB2 boards. I just did a quick search on
>pricewatch.com and they're showing USB 2.0 only cards for $20 US, and
>USB 2.0/IEEE1394 (FireWire) combo boards for $59 US.

That's what I'm actually going to do. The main problem is that I don't
quite understand the chain I should build. The weakest part is PCMCIA. How
should I configure such a card. For certainty, I found one on the Net:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2PU2PCCARD

2-Port USB 2.0 High Speed CardBus PCMCIA Adapter, only $25.95

Could not find any notice about this kind of devices in PCMCIA docs.
I made also a search on google as well as checked linux-usb - without
any real success.

As what sort of device should pcmcia_cs see such a PCMCIA->USB card?
In other words: which device-driver modules are to be loaded?

Any ideas? Where I could find docs/HOWTO's/info/etc?

If I manage to get pcmcia part working, the usb one seems to be more or
less clear. It should not be too different from Flash-card readers, right?

Thanks in advance,

Roman