Re: DELL Inspiron 8000 - 3COM 556 internal NIC/Modem

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 11:58, Al Stone wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 01:18, Sampl Manfred wrote:
> > I was running kernel 2.4.18 before, the NIC part didn't work. Was
> > there a major step in the 3COM kernel drivers fom 2.4.18 to 2.4.20, in
> > the module 3c59x?
>
> Not that I know of (but I haven't looked).  I've been using
> the 3c59x driver with the miniPCI card for quite some time
> (maybe since 2.4.10 or so?).  This was with an HP Omnibook
> 6000 laptop, though, not a Dell.

I did an install of Potato on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8000) with the
miniPCI board, and the NIC part worked just fine. I know that the Potato
installer used a 2.2 kernel though I'm not sure which one specifically.
The first 2.4 kernel that I ran on the laptop was a 2.4.6 I believe, and
that worked just fine as well. I used 2.4.18 for quite some time before
recently upgrading to 2.4.21 and everything still worked.
Coincidentally, as I've been playing with 2.6.0-test1, it's still been
working fine.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837