Re: Proxim orinoco gold wireless card

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 08:26:45AM -0400, KryptoBSD wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I am getting mine soon hopefully, they are wonderful cards from what I have been told by a lot more then a handful of people, and that they are fairly simple to install on Linux.
>
> Maybe some documentation that will help, looks thorough.
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html
>
> Then theres always O'Reilly...
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2000/11/03/wavelan.html?page=2 (Watch for Linux header about 3/5ths down the page)
>
> Wish I had the hands on experience to help, but if your struggling still in about 3 weeks, I'll get back to you then (let's hope it doesn't take that long).
>
> -Mark

Hi Mark-

Here is the thing.  I have a classic Orinoco Gold card which has the
little box on the end which works really well in my laptop.  I made a
mistake and ordered these new cards from Proxim which seem to have a
chipset which is "almost supported".  I can insert the orinoco_cs driver
but dmesg shows that the driver does not load all the way.  The gold
orinco care with the "Lucent Technologies" on the top work very well for
me.

I read on the wireless lists at sourceforge that they cards have
different chipsets so I think there are some basic differences between
these and the classic cards.

I'm using the classic card with a 2.4.21 kernel, BTW.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org