Re: I fried my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA678

From: "Manuel Saavedra" <satmr@yahoo.com.mx>

> However, last week I was working on my laptop when suddenly it just turned
off. Any attempt to power-on again was futile. I had to take it to the Sony
Repair Center. They just told me that my motherboard & processor are fried.

> There was no electrical over-current (and I was connected to a surge
protector) and I had activated the ACPI support via the XandrOS control panel.

> The XandrOS Support Team told me that maybe I had a faulty fan and it burned
out, taking my processor and motherboard with it.

> Now I’m not sure if something on the XandrOS caused it... and I having second
thoughts about switching to Linux.

It's possible.  I very much doubt the Xandros kernel is acpi-enabled, so there's
possibly no fan control (some machines have hardware-controlled fans, others
ACPI).  If you tried this again you'd want to do two things - recompile your
kernel with ACPI support and make darn sure that if the box got too hot to
handle you shut it down!  I wouldn't blame Xandros for this though - ACPI hasn't
made it into the mainstream of 2.4 kernels yet, though it should be included in
the 2.6 kernel.