Re: Inspiron 5000 text-console freezing, somehow linked to X ?

Hello,

I'm not on the laptop distribution list, but I have an Inspiron 3200 and was
having similar problems, sort of. I could not suspend the machine while
running with a 2.4.19 kernel, though I could suspend with no problem using
2.2.xx kernels. I decided to check out the Debian laptop archive to see if
anyone had the same problem, when I came upon this thread.

Anyway, I fixed my problem by turning off the Dell support in my kernel
configuration. I set CONFIG_I8K=m, but then did not load the module. I suppose
I could just turn it completely off as well, but I haven't tried that, and
since it now works, well...

I have enabled power management, but no apci

# CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
.
.
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

Perhaps something similar will work for you.

cheers.