Re: 2.4.17 kernel & pcmcia problem

Heather <star@betelgeuse.starshine.org> wrote:

> [symlinks bug in kernel-image-* ellided] Well, since the dev gang are
> aware of this I'm sure kernel-image-2.4.18-* will be fixed when they
> happen.

They should be.  If not, complain to Herbert Xu.

To which Heather <star@betelgeuse.starshine.org> commented:

> Is it me, or does "only a few cases will need hand hacking" sound like
> it *does not satisfy* "folks with any kernel-image-n.n.nn or even
> handbuilt kernels shouldn't fail" ?

They won't fail.  The "special cases" are folks with hardware that does
not like the settings used by the default cardmgr configuration.  Let's
face it: some hardware is difficult to handle; some hardware is just
plain crappy.

> Can we split these changed-cases off into an extra support file so it
> can be sought by kernel version, or something?  Whatta mess.

This is not dependent on kernel version.  It depends on the hardware
being used.  These tweaks cannot be easily handled by automatic means.
They require experimentation on the part of the user.  Fortunately,
these cases are rare.

- Brian