Re: 2.4.17 kernel & pcmcia problem

Pann McCuaig wrote:

> I had a similar problem. I turned off all PCMCIA support in the
> kernel.  I don't know why it's there in the first place (seems to be
> new with 2.4.x).

The 2.4 kernels have introduced their own PCMCIA drivers.  Now there are
two sets of drivers, the 2.4 kernel drivers, and the standalone drivers
(from the pcmcia-cs source).  I am currently in the process of trying to
get one pcmcia-cs package to support both sets.

tallison1@twmi.rr.com (Tom Allison) wrote:

> Yeah, but it's been working for months and it seems to me that the
> pcmcia drivers are going into the kernel rather than coming out.

Personally, I still recommend the standalone drivers for now, since they
are more mature.  New development is almost completely in the 2.4 kernel
drivers, however, so they are the way of the future.

- Brian