Re: Need advice installing Debian on Inspiron 2500

Joseph Fannin <jhf@rivenstone.net> wrote on 02/02/2002 (12:22) :
>     Powering the machine off is all that ACPI seems to be good for ATM
> as well, but I have some hope that the battery monitoring functions
> could be fixed soon (at least, it seems close enough to working and I
> have enough information to complain about it and hope someone who
> knows what they are doing will try to fix it.) The battery socket gets
> detected as long as there is no battery inserted at boottime; if a
> battery is inserted after that, ACPI reports errors when trying to
> query the battery status.

I compiled 2.4.17 after applying the patch at : acpi.sf.net

Now if I don't insmod the ospm_ec module, but load the battery and
ac_adapter modules I get some information in /proc/acpi/batter/1/info
and /proc/acpi/batter/1/status. Though the gnome battery monitor applet
will only show 0% battery.

The problem is that the themal zone module won't load. Has anybody else
seen this? I had to enable development code in the kernel to compile
this.

It says that one should have the thermal zone running or the processor
may overheat, so I'm a bit nervouse about this. Do anybody know how the
fan works on the laptop. I mean does the ACPI turn off fans, or does the
hardware regulate the fans if the machine gets hot?

Thanks in advance.
--
Preben Randhol         «For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.»