Re: [RFR] new and old gpsd template

>>  + Please note that several GPS receivers use common USB-to-serial converter
>>  + chips. If this computer has non-GPS devices attached with USB-to-serial
>>  + converters, gpsd may misbehave or interfere with tools like gpsbabel, so
>>  + it is recommended to reject this option.
>
> Actually I'm not sure if we need to mention gpsbabel here, a much more
> general and shorter wording would be fine, too. What will really happen
> is undefined - gpsd may disturb or interfere with any communication on
> the serial line, or not. There were bug reports about this, where gpsd
> was a problem, but it also may just run fine, really depends on what
> you're doing.

In that case how about:

      This option is not recommended. Several GPS receivers use common
      USB-to-serial converter chips, so gpsd may cause interference with
      other attached devices.

But I'm not sure this is enough of a problem to _recommend_ not
using it.  I would have thought most users wouldn't have any
problematic devices to attach, so all we'd need to say is

	This option is disabled by default, because several [...]

> The main problem is that some GPS receivers use the same
> serial converter ICs as used in the normal usb<>serial cables. So if you
>  attach such a usb<>serial converter, it may be a GPS, or not.
> The interesting case is a normal usb<>serial cable with a gps attached,
> that will probably just work fine ;)
> If you find a better way to inform the users about this problem I'd be
> happy.

A README.Debian or similar pointing at the bugreports?