Re: So I downloaded 5.0.1 and...

Le 5 Juin 2006 17:07, vous avez écrit :

> On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 03:26:42PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> > Le 5 Juin 2006 04:56, Klaus Knopper a écrit :
> > > Dear Gilles,
> > >
> > > If you just tell me HOW I can fix the ca keyboard problem, I
> > > will fix it in Knoppix and send a Debian package to the KDE
> > > maintainers so they can fix it in Debian, too. No lengthy
> > > reply, just an offer.
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > You can fix the problem by reverting to the previous situation.
> > The ca keyboard worked perfectly in Knoppix 3.7 and 3.9.
>
> *sighs* If THAT is your solution, I suggest that you stay with the
> old system and NEVER install new software.

That's pretty much what I have to do now.

> I don't want to be unfair. But if you could tell me at least if
> there is a kind of error message, or different keyboard choices in
> the KDE control center which won't work or that are not available
> anymore, that would help somehow in locating the problem.

No, there's absolutely no error message. The cf keyboard has
disappered from the list and the ca keyboard seems to be the cf
keyboard.

So, you can only choose the ca keyboard and what you get is the cf
keyboard. (Apparently. As I said, I don't have a cf keyboard
anymore.)

> > (Maybe the 4 series
> > too, I don't know.) I suppose the same goes for cf. I don't have
> > a cf keyboard anymore.
>
> cf?

ca stands for canadian, cf for canadian french. Both can be used by
french-speaking poeple. Nost english-speaking people use the us
keyboard. I explained the history of each keyboard in my first
message.

> > Maybe you can patch Firefox instead.
>
> I don't intend to "patch" software that is easily configurable.

Fonts size in the URL window is not configurable here. Not from any
menu, at least and it's the most impirtant part of the browser. I
didn't see any way to remove the search window and use the url window
for searching.

> If
> you recommend a differen setting for Firefox concerning fonts
> (which are perfectly readable on our test systems, btw),

Do you use 1280 x 1024? 19" monitors and even some LCD 17" screens run
at this definition. 1600 x 1200 most be a real joke!

> > A browser with URL fonts so small
> > you can hardly read them is really awkward. Same for a search
> > window that's about 3 cm long. The code from Mozilla 1.4.3 should
> > be OK. The URL fonts were small, but readable, and you could
> > search from the URL bar.
>
> So, your suggestion is to return to Mozilla 1.4.3, instead of
> increasing the URL font and/or search window size, right?

No. I supposed you could grab the code that defines the url window in
Mozilla 1.4.3 and paste it in Firefox. But I suppose rewriting it
wouldn't be such a big job so, what I really meant is that things
were once done right.

This craze of having an extra search window -- which was started by
Opera, I believe. Then Konqueror followed, then Firefox -- is
completely ridiculous. It's a hinderance. Final. From screenshots I
saw yesterday, it seems that only Epiphany and Galeon resisted the
stupid trend.

> > What about the printer problem? How come I can't load any driver?
> > The md5sum has been checked, the signed asc file too. My printer
> > worked perfectly in 3.7. There's also been a recent Kanotix
> > release -- 2005-4, I believe. I can check -- which worked
> > perfectly.
>
> If there is no solution that I can use, it doesn't help if you tell
> me "it's working there, but not there", sorry. :-(

Well, maybe some programmer will be able to tell you. All I can tell
you is that it doesn't work.You asked for error messages for the
keyboard, but there was none. Here there were, and I gave them to
you. (See first message)

BTW, it seems Ubuntu Dapper has a problem printing too, and it's a
final version too:

"The other big bug involves printing. Whether or not this affects you
may depend on the printer you have, but many others besides myself
reported the same problem so I know I'm not alone. What I found
(during beta-testing) is that my printer would only print in draft
mode, even though I'd set it up to print high-quality. However, the
problem only seemed to affect Gnome apps - the KDE apps all printed
beautifully. You notice I'm talking in the past tense. That's because
since the final release of Dapper, things have changed - the
above-mention bug is no longer an issue because I can no longer print
anything at all! This is a near disaster. Although I don't use it
often, a printer is rather like an ATM card - when you need it, you
really need it, or you're in big trouble."

Ladislav Bodnar
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060605#firstlook

> > In all those situations, the code that works has been written.
> > One wonders why it is not used : ( I don't understand what's
> > going on.
>
> Then, if you have code that works, why are you not using it?  I'm
> sorry if you are disappointed, but as always, I'd recommend that
> you, as anybody else, should just use the system that works best
> for you.

I appreciate that you say "works best", not just "works".  There's
always bound to be one that "works best".

Gilles