Re: Knoppix 6 ?

Le 26 Mai 2006 03:53, vous avez écrit :

> Hi Gilles,

Guten Abend Klaus!

> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:45:58PM -0400, Gilles wrote:
> > Given that there used to be a 0.0.1  release every second day,
> > and that it's almost two months that 5.0.1 should have been
> > released, I suppose the next release will be 6.
>
> Since the last public release was actually 4.0.2, there should be
> no reason to skip 5.x, even that there have been a LOT of new
> kernels between Cebit and now.

And the final release of kernel  2.6.17 is supposed to be very soon.
Says Linux Torvalds:

It's mainly drivers updates (firewire sbp2 driver, infiniband ipath
driver, some DVB updates, and some mmc, network, spi and usb driver
stuff).

But there's a few netfilter and sctp updates too, and various random
one-liners around.. As usual, the shortlog is pretty readable, and
gives a reasonable view into the details.

This will hopefully be the last -rc before the final 2.6.17, knock
wood.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/developer/2006052501526NWKNSW

But I suppose you're aware of this.

> > I mean, in five years from now, Klaus will be almost as late as
> > Microsoft is with Vista!
>
> Am I late?
>
> See http://knopper.net/faq/knoppix-release-en.html

With your present contribution to the Linux community, maybe you could
be late in 20 years from now but, you know, there's so much noise
about other Knoppix derivatives that somebody's got to say that the
interest is still there for the basic product. Some people are
eagerly waiting to see this latest release, in my case, mainly that
I'm thinking about installing a new LInux distro pretty soon.

> > One really wonders what's going on. Maybe
> > he's waiting for the release of the latest Kanotix so that people
> > will say that Knoppix is Kanotix on steroids? :)
>
> I'm not as good as Kano concerning flowery descriptions, so let's
> say we are just trying to get Knoppix, both the DVD and CD, to the
> latest point of technology. :-)
>
> Btw, I already sent a "due date" to the list. As expected, (almost)
> nobody has taken it serious. But, you never know. :-)

I must confess I missed that one. So, June 2nd, even if the final
release of 2.6.17 is not out?

Gilles