[debian-knoppix] Virtual PC 6.1 for Mac, color depth

I am running Knoppix (3.3) on Virtual PC 6.1 for Mac.
Everything works fine, except I can't get it to run
graphics in more that 256 colors. I have tried most
(all? :) possible combinations of X related boot
options (xserver, screen, xmodule, fb.., vga...)
to no avail. Virtual PC emulates S3 Trio 32/64 PCI
video video hardware, and will run other Intel OSes
in 16 and 24 bit color without any problems.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

CDR