RE: [debian-knoppix] Q : Knoppix update?

Ah ... Yes ... Knoppix is really 2.5 GB of uncompressed executables and data
files, compressed to 700 MB by a scheme that allows live de-compression. So
... The next question is, "What fraction of Knoppix 'air time' (users times
hours) is devoted to running Knoppix in its native form, live from the CD,
and what fraction of the air time is devoted to folks like me, who mostly
unpack it to hard disk with "knx-hdinstall" and run with it that way?" I
suspect the two groups have vastly different needs.

Given the number of re-mastered versions available -- at least a dozen the
last time I looked -- my guess is that the majority are using it live for
some specific collection of software. So the idea of a "customization kit":
essentially just an unpack script, an "apt-get" script and a repack/CD burn
script is appealing to me.

Swap space? Seems like RAM is fairly inexpensive here in the USA, and you
only buy it once. Broadband you pay for every month, and there's no
effective way for a "hobbyist" such as myself to negotiate a "competitive
procurement". The cable / satellite / DSL providers here are essentially
unregulated monopolies.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
mailto:znmeb@borasky-research.net

"Suppose that tonight, while you sleep, a miracle happens - you wake up
tomorrow with what you have longed for! How will you discover that a miracle
happened? How will your loved ones? What will be different? What will you
notice? What do you need to explode into tomorrow with grace, power, love,
passion and confidence?" -- L. Michael Hall, PhD