RE: [debian-knoppix] Q : Knoppix update?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, M. Edward Borasky wrote:

> What to add? More than anything else, I'd like to see kernel source and
> "make-kpkg", a remastering toolkit and jigdo (Jigsaw Download) support. That
> way, those of us who still have dial-up only could rebuild our own releases
> easily. I'm still buying CDs and downloading .debs at 2.7 kilobytes per
> second while I'm asleep and at work. :) I've *never* downloaded a full .iso.

Won't the compressed image effectivly make jigdo useless for downloading
Knoppix upgrades?  See
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/jigdo-user/2003-October/000093.html

The author of jigdo makes some suggestions for something that might work at
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/jigdo-user/2003-October/000096.html

I'm all for a better way to retrieve Knoppix upgrades via dialup.  I was
thinking that I could remaster by downloading debs as long as I have an
updated sources.list and dpkg --set-selections.  Of course this assumes
that all changes will be available in debs.  Or am I missing some nugget
of knowledge?

This remastering technique will be problematic for most users with the 1GB
RAM/swap requirement. I think we can make the upgrade process easier for
us dialup users by making available a script to wget all the debs
(similiar to what apt-zip creates) and providing a script to remaster.  Or
maybe someone has been done this already?

Chaz