Re: [debian-knoppix] DOS boot image for syslinux

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 01:13:41AM -0700, dan.graham@shaw.ca wrote:
> I was curious now that M$ is exercising its patent rights on fat what we can do about syslinux (isolinux). Each of our CDs contains a fat filesystem image for boot with syslinux (boot-en.img) etc. and the Redmond Vole is unlikely to freebe us on this one. Syslinux (isolinux) only supports fat and we need to find an alternative.

How about taking a look at the patents Microsoft has? As you seem to be to
lazy to do that, I'd like to point out that these patents all apply to newer
stuff like packing longnames into shortnames in a "backwards compatible" way.

So even if these patents are valid, syslinux on a MSDOS FAT (no long names)
filesystem shouldn't touch these patents anyway :)

> I am very concerned and beleive we need to proceed asap to replace it with another bootloader.

If you are really concerned, get a clue and take the time to read the stuff.

Andreas