[debian-knoppix] Newbie: need help getting mplayer installed (dep hell)

I'd appreciate any help someone could give trying to get mplayer installed in the newest knoppix 3.3 9/24/03.
I've remastered it getting rid of all games, koffice, language packs to make room and getting rid of unnecesary/unused packages but when it came to replacing xine with mplayer 0.90 I got some dependency hell with libvorbis. libvorbis0a 1.0.0-3 (176kb) is already installed but mplayer wants libvorbis0 1.0rc3. I've finally gotten a repository with the correct version but when I try to update the package it tells me it will also take kde-base and several other packages (40mb) with it. Which obviously I don't wanna do that but I'm not sure what I need to do. I am a relative newbie to linux, only been on for a year or so and trying to get into debian cause I love apt-get and redhat is getting annoying.

i'd really appreciate your time and help
thanks in advance
Geoff