Re: [debian-knoppix] Open accounting and Open source

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:16:22AM +0200, Christian Perle wrote:
> > The Knoppix installer can't necessarily address the problem space
> > that the Debian installer must handle.
>
> Agreed. But before talking about it theoretical, please try it. I would
> like to see more people actually trying out the software they talk about.

i tried knx-hdinstall a month or so back, and the biggest
problem i had with it was that it wanted to put everything
in my root partition, and refused to install because it was
too small (in spite of of the 6gb /usr).

i ended up just installing it manually, with a debootstrap and
then running base-config...

> > One of the best things you could do would be to figure out how to
> > merge the changes of Knoppix back into Debian. But you may have to
> > invest more time into becoming a packager to handle that.
>
> I'm afraid this would require two versions of the Knoppix boot scripts
> and hardware detection. One handling the up-to-date Knoppix and another
> handling Woody (older kernel, older XFree, so it is lacking support for
> newer hardware components).

how about this:

	include on the cd the debian install scripts, and put a menu
	option on the knoppix desktop to "install debian", which
	launches two xterms.  the first is the debian installer, and the
	second is a screen that has an answer to all the questions
	that the installer is going to ask.

	or better yet, i think you could automate this too, since by
	the time it actually asks you questions the system is already
	a bootstrapped debian.  reconfigure debconf's frontend to be
	noninteractive, and then set the appropriate changes with
	debconf-communicate, and then set the frontend back to what
	it was.

what do you think?

	sean