Re: [debian-knoppix] Boot from USB stick

Hi,

On Friday, 25. April 2003 18:43, Klaus Knopper wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 06:07:38PM +0200, Andreas Schockenhoff wrote:
> >
> > Syslinux for the boot partition. I have booted and run a complete KNOPPIX
> > from USB HD. (250GB :-)
>
> But you modified the kernel for this, to have usb-storage compiled in,
> or in an initrd, right?
I use the same trick as Chris with initrd.

> > So I am waiting for the new kernel with USB 2.0.
>
> Uhm, AFAIK the current 2.4.20 kernel handles USB 2.0 devices well,
> provided that you have an USB 2.0-capable controller (!) chipset.
> usb-ehci should be part of usb-ohci, and takes care of highspeed USB
> devices.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I am not sure, I use a Intel 845 Motherboard and the USB Harddisk and
it was not faster than USB 1.1. (usb-uhci driver).
I read http://www.linux-usb.org/usb2.html and think i need ehci for
USB 2.0 high speed. My Idea was that I need 2.4.22.

Thats wrong, now I found ehci in Kernel 2.4.20. :-)  Next try.

> Many Notebooks (even current ones) only support USB 1.x, though.
Yes, have you one that can boot from usb?
I was proud that I have one that can Network boot. :-)

bye Andreas