Re: Issues with using git debrebase for linux

Hello Ben,

On Sun 12 Aug 2018 at 03:55AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> 2. Replacing commits
>
> Over the last 2 days I've prepared the patches and scripts in the
> package for conversion to a dgit patches-applied branch.  There are
> three of these that import patches from elsewhere, all of which I have
> moved to debian/bin/genpatch-<something>.
>
> genpatch-rt can be ignored because it's updating optional patches that
> will have to remain as quilt-in-git.  The other two will now need to
> effectively replace existing commits.  When we discussed this at
> DebConf it was suggested that git rebase, and therefore git debrebase,
> could match up commits with corresponding reverts and delete both of
> them from the commit series.  I therefore rewrote those scripts to
> revert the old imported patches (in reverse order) and then apply the
> new patches.  However, I now find that "git debrebase -i --autosquash"
> leaves all the commits intact.  So I don't know how I can automate this
> commit replacement now.

Hrm.  Sorry about this -- I think this was my suggestion.

Unfortunately, I do not know precisely what conditions are required such
that git-rebase is able to strip both commits and reversions of those
commits.  Presumably your script is not meeting those conditions.

To be clear, --autosquash is not needed for this behaviour; when the
stripping works, it does not require passing any option to trigger it.
--autosquash is for fixup! and squash! commits.

--
Sean Whitton