Re: Converting kernel svn to git

On Wed, 2015-08-05 at 12:46 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> Here's where I am with the conversion:
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/temp/

I've made many fixes to the scripts today, and pushed them and the
results to there.  There's only one bug I'm aware of that I think is
necessary to fix (see below).

I haven't looked at the hook scripts yet, but I assume that replacing
them under git will be quite easy.

That leaves .gitignore.  How should we set up .gitignore for the root
directory when it's already shipped by upstream?  Should we strip it
from the orig tarball and replace it, or should we patch it (as we
already do)?

> Known bugs:
>
> linux.git
> ---------
>
> Commits tagged 2.6.12-2, 2.6.16-{15,16,17}, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-24etch2,
> 2.6.26-{17,20} are detached.

Fixed.

> Several weird merges in early history.
>
> Many merges in svn are not recorded in git, but this is presumably due
> to lack of mergeinfo in old svn versions.

Not fixed, but not that important.

> Commit tagged 2.6.24-7 looks like a 4-way merge which shouldn't be
> possible in svn!  This might be due to svn mergeinfo accumulating
> branches.

Fixed - all but the first two parents are dropped.

> linux-latest.git
> ----------------
>
> Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent

Fixed.

> Many merges from sid to wheezy-backports are not recorded

Not fixed, but not that important.

> No squeeze branch

Fixed.

> linux-tools.git
> ---------------
>
> Many merges from sid to trunk are not recorded

Not fixed, and I would like to do so as this makes the history rather
harder to understand.

> firmware-nonfree.git
> --------------------
>
> Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent

Fixed.

> What do we do with the sid branch?

I made it part of the wheezy branch.

> The 0.19 tag is in a firmware-nonfree subdirectory

Fixed.

> Merge before 0.4+etchnhalf.1 should not be recorded as a merge

Not fixed, but not that important.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Theory and practice are closer in theory than in practice.