Converting kernel svn to git

We've been talking about this for at least 6 years, and it's well past
time to do it.

(I think most developers are already using git-svn, but that doesn't
properly handle tags and merges so I've never been able to make use of
it.)

I started on a conversion that would include stitching in the upstream
history for the linux package, but that depends on how we store patches
in git and there isn't yet an obvious winner there (git-dpm vs git
-debcherry vs dgit vs ...).  If the patches should be applied as git
commits, then we can't represent all of history because sometimes the
patches didn't apply.  And featuresets don't fit into this at all.

I think that the best thing to do now is to do a straight conversion of
the debian directory only.  We can stitch in upstream later.

Here's where I am with the conversion:
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/temp/

Known bugs:

linux.git
---------

Commits tagged 2.6.12-2, 2.6.16-{15,16,17}, 2.6.18.dfsg.1-24etch2,
2.6.26-{17,20} are detached.

Several weird merges in early history.

Many merges in svn are not recorded in git, but this is presumably due
to lack of mergeinfo in old svn versions.

Commit tagged 2.6.24-7 looks like a 4-way merge which shouldn't be
possible in svn!  This might be due to svn mergeinfo accumulating
branches.

linux-latest.git
----------------

Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent

Many merges from sid to wheezy-backports are not recorded

No squeeze branch

linux-tools.git
---------------

Many merges from sid to trunk are not recorded

firmware-nonfree.git

Tip of wheezy branch is detached from its parent

What do we do with the sid branch?

The 0.19 tag is in a firmware-nonfree subdirectory

Merge before 0.4+etchnhalf.1 should not be recorded as a merge

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If God had intended Man to program,