Re: Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

On Thu, 3 May 2007 19:15:00 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> said:

> On Wed, 02 May 2007, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:18:28 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at>
>> said:
>>
>> > heya manoj, you didn't respond on my point putting the scripts
>> > under /usr/share/kernel. this is a crucial decision.
>>
>> > initramfs-tools has both /etc/initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that
>> > take precendence over packaging files in
>> > /usr/share//initramfs-tools/{hooks,scripts} that allows very handy
>> > local configurabilty.
>>
>> Where packages put their scripts is up to the packages; currently the
>> postinst only runs the scripts under /etc/kernel.  Are you suggesting
>> that be changed?

> yes.  it should look both in /etc/kernel _and_ /usr/share/kernel

        And how does one install, say, initramfs-tools, which dumps
 stuff in /usr/share/kernel, and have the script not run?

        A kludge would be to drop in a no-op script in /etc/kernel; but
 that is indeed a hack.

> with the script /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs takes precedence over
> /usr/share/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs

        Hmm.  But you still have the conflict: Which package provides
 /usr/share/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs?  initramfs-tools? yaird? some
 other package we do not know about yet?

        So just using /usr/share/kernel/ does not by itself solve
 the problem that alternatives address.

>> Why is alternatives not scalable? At the moment, I see just a couple
>> if initramfs generators, which seems perfectly fine for alternatives.
>> Same goes for bootloaders, actually.

> alternatives is a debian specific tool, one of those terrific perl
> "codage"..

        What is wrong about Debian specific tools? kernel-package is a
 Debian specific tool, after all.  And I like Perl. make-kpkg is, again,
 written in Perl.  Far better than writing it in python :)

> no please come up with a better idea.

        I see nothing technical behind this, apart from the fact you
 seem not to like Perl. That by itself is not enough to justify not
 using the tool we have, which is well known, and seems to work well
 enough.

        manoj
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein,