Re: [Yaird-devel] Debian kernel packaging: changes forthcoming in kernel-package 11.x

On Wed, 2 May 2007 10:11:11 +0200, maximilian attems <max@stro.at> said:

>> Finally, I want to have kernel-package come closer to the version
>> numbering scheme that the official kernel images have been using,
>> complete with native flavour support, but this can be dealt with in a
>> separate thread.
>>
>> The critical issues are:
>> a) How to configure which one of competing boot-loader scripts get
>>    run,
>> if more than one boot loaders are installed
>> b) Which initramfs generator gets run, if we have more than one
>> installed.

> the default one unless other specified.

        Which generator is the default one? Right now, we have a
 hard-coded algorithm that decides whether to use one or the other,
 unless the user overrides it, and I want to move that decision making
 logic (even if it is configurable) out of the postinst.

> you don't talk at all in this proposal of /etc/kernel-img.conf do you
> want to obsolete it?

        /etc/kernel-img.conf is to configure the action of the kerel
 image postinst script.  If we move the running of the initrd
 generators, bootloaders, symlink creators, etc out of the postinst,
 then /etc/kernel-img.conf has no more say in what gets run.

        Again, /etc/kernel-img.conf is hard to modify automatically, and
 I think would make the resulting image installation setup more rigid,
 since no package really owns that script.

        So, we can use alternatives to have bootloaders and
 initrd-generators cooperate; so we don't have to have a over-arching
 configuration.

>> c) What information would the scripts need, apart from kernel
>>    version,
>> and the location of the image?
>> d) How do we transition the changes -- wait for all involved packages
>> to create a changed version, and upload all packages at once in a
>> staged fashion, or just stagger it into Sid?

> i'd be happy to upload initramfs-tools with the scripts anytime soon
> when the transition starts.

        thanks

        manoj
--
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it....I can resist
everything but temptation.  -- Oscar Wilde