Re: Searching in dolphin

On Friday 06 January 2017 08:08:14 David McPearson wrote:

> On 2017-01-05 22:15, Brad Rogers wrote:

> > On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:02:00 +0100

> > solitone <solitone@mail.com> wrote:

> > Hello solitone,

> >> What package is needed in order to use the search functionality in

> >> Dolphin? At the moment I get an "invalid protocol" error.

> > Nothing:

> > Run System Settings, then go to Workspace -> Search -> File Search and

> > turn *off* Enable File Search. That is, untick/uncheck it. Now apply,

> > and then the Find file function will work in Dolphin.

> Hi Guys,

> Same error here on Debian Jessie/KDE 4.14.2/Dolphin 4.14.1. When I run

> System Settings I do not see an option "Search option"

> According to the System Setting Manual there should be a "Desktop

> Search" module under System Settings > Workspace Appearance and Behavior

> - but it is not there. I assume this is what is meant by "File Search"

> above. Am I correct?

> Any hints/instructions about how to get Dolphin's Find to work (given

> the above)?

> Please note I turned file indexing off when I first installed Jessie.

I can at least confirm that desktop search works for me in Jessie, my dataset is about 60 GB in about half a million files.

There is "Desktop Search" and "Desktop Search Advanced" in "System Settings". In "Desktop Search Advanced" I specified which paths to exclude and which to include in the desktop search. I have enabled "Desktop search" and "File indexer"

There is one glitch I noticed: dolphin searches from the current working directory. If the current working directory is a symbolic link, the search does not find anything. It seems baloo stores the physical paths and is not able to map symbolic paths to physical paths.

I hope that helps...

Rainer

--

Rainer Dorsch