Re: KDE Partition Manager

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:49:56 +0000 (UTC)
Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> wrote:

> On 2014-08-18, Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Is KDE Partition Manager [1] still a maintained package ?
>
> Kind of not, kind of.
>
> the most active person of the past, george, is not active any longer.
> I have talked with someone considering taking it over, but I'm not
> sure what the state of it is.  I'm sure you are more than welcome to
> join in.

I am a programmer (though C++ is not my first language), but have never
yet come close to the intricacies (as it sounds) of preparing Debian
packaging - but I've been meaning to. I'm aware there's a lot of
developer guide documentation which I'll start reading.
(https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ ?)

> > (There's a Debian bug #754580 [9] requesting the maintainer to
> > package "upstream version 1.1.0", but (a) I haven't found any
> > reference to such a version anywhere else

I have now:
http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=kde_partition_manager_1.1.0_was_release_today_july_2014
and there's a package at Ubuntu Launchpad.

,  (b) the kde.org page
> > for the package [7] has a screenshot showing version 1.0.5, (c) it
> > also states that the package homepage is at Sourceforge [8], but
> > the Sourceforge page offers only version 1.0.0beta [!] and states
> > that the main developer has died and the package moved to kde.org
> > as of January 2014
>
> It is correct that Volker Lanz has died.
>
> It is also correct that Andrius Stikonas has taken up the torch (pun
> intended) upstream and released a 1.1.0 version.
>
> https://stikonas.eu/wordpress/?p=8

Found references to this page, but the site wasn't responding earlier -
I see it is now.  There's a reference to "GUI improvements ...
partition widget design was improved", so maybe partition alignment has
been added already - I'll check.

> But feel free to get in touch with me or others if you want to
> contribute to the packaging in debian.

This *is* probably a good candidate for me to cut my teeth upon - is
there a page of (junior ?) tasks to be done on the package ?

It's actually hard to figure out where's best to try to help first ...
sourceforge website, kde.org website, upstream source, Debian packaging.

I'm going to submit a couple of Debian bugs for my original issue and
one other minor fault, and then try to grab Andrius' latest source to
see whether the partition alignment attribute setting has been added to
the UI yet - if not then maybe it would be a good idea if I first tried
my hand at coding that (which would also I guess entail learning some
libparted API) for submission as a patch upstream, then try to learn
about the packaging.

Thanks,
Nick
--