Call for testing yarnpkg 4 (Re: RFS: node-yarnpkg (update))

On 13/10/23 8:26 PM, Israel Galadima wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 at 13:57, Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org <mailto:praveen@onenetbeyond.org>> wrote:

    I think I use coma separated list, but probably the other option
    work too.

Thanks, I've fixed everything.

Thanks to great work by Israel and other outreachy interns in the past, we have a yarnpkg in the archive that is built with well maintained build and runtime dependendencies (we can finally get rid of obsolete node-request from the archive). We can also stop maintaining patches to make it build with newer build depends like babel 7.

We also have corepack, which is kind of a meta package manager - package manager to install package managers!! (no surprise to people who know nodejs). corepack can install npm, yarn or pnpm.

Currently yarnpkg 4 is in experimental, I would like these things completed before we upload it to unstable.

1. Test the yarnpkg from experimental a bit, for example try to use it in gitlab
2. Document how to use corepack yarn or node_modules plugin to get yarn 1.x
3. Create a NEWS file in yarnpkg to mention how to get yarn 1 behavior, either by using corepack or by enabling node_modules plugin.

So please test yarnpkg from experimental and report any problems you notice.

Regards.