Re: Debian Jr. readying for release

On 16 Mar 2002, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Yes, eventually we will need to translate the descriptions.  A problem
> with the current DDTS is the fact that our organization is adjusted to
> translate gettext .po files.  Do you know if it is possible to get
> .pot-files from the server, and submit .po files into the server?
Yes, I know.  :-)
It is definitely impossible because it is not intended for this purpose.
There is no mechanism to automaticall extract .po files and those are
related to the upstream source.  You definitely should contact the
upstream authors to submit .po files or at least the Debian maintainer
of the relevant package.  I'm really sure he will include it.

> Our distribution is supposed to install everything without questions,
> so there is no immediate need to translate the descriptions.  The
> users are not supposed to see these descriptions during install. :-)
Huh.  On which information base should the user decide whether to use
a package or not???  This would mean that you only have a fix set of
packages to install.  Why shouldn't the user obtain any information
using `dpkg --status <packagename>`.  Wouldn't you think that some
native language infromation is useful when using dselect or gnome-apt
or whatever?

Kind regards

        Andreas.