Re: Debian for education

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Today I've met Jean-Claude Fernandez who is the boss of the CRI. This orginism
> has realized Pingoo. About the non-free software, I don't really know, I think
> the only piece of software depending on non free software is the admistration
> tool written in Java. But they gonna rewrite it with free software only.
> It's true that Pingoo is a communication server right now but they are just
> starting a new project of zero administration workstation based again on Debian.
> So they may be interested by Debian/Education work.
I had a talk to the Pingoo-people on the Debian conference in Bordeaux
last year.  I tried to convince them to *include* their project into
Debian instead of branching from Debian.  In my opinion it would have
many advantages if they would do so because they would only have to handle
their own packages and would not have to manage a hole distribution.
May be they would do so in the future ...
This would enable also Debian-Jr to include their stuff.

By the way: Is there anybody in Bordeaux this year 4.-8. July.  We could
try to do some Debian-Jr discussion or (more prefered) development.

Kind regards

       Andreas.