Re: List of consultants focusing on Debian packaging for Java?

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 09:46:56PM +0100, Antonin Delpeuch (lists) wrote:
> It is not clear to me to what extent a Debian packaging project lends
> itself to fixed-term contracting, since maintaining the package will
> require continued work as we release new versions. Perhaps the project
> could include some mentoring of the upstream maintainers to assist
> with the packaging if possible? Or some provision to maintain the
> package for a few years, assuming most of the work lies in the initial
> packaging?

Possibly of interest:

    [The] Debian project has been discussing the idea of paying
    developers to work on the distribution. There is some history behind
    the idea, going back to the controversial Dunc-Tank initiative in
    2006, but some think attitudes toward funding developers may have
    changed—or that a new approach might be better accepted.  [...]

    [Raphaël Hertzog] noted that some developers are being paid now to
    work on the Debian Long Term Support (LTS) project under the
    auspices of Freexian, which is a company that he founded to provide
    Debian services to companies.  [...]

    But others were not so sure that the example of the reaction to the
    LTS initiative is quite as sweeping as Hertzog said.  [...]

    Source: https://lwn.net/Articles/790954/

Here is Freexian's web page about its packaging services and fee
structure.  (Note: this is not an endorsement.  I have no relationship
with Freexian.)

https://www.freexian.com/en/services/debian-packaging.html

Good luck in your quest,

Sam