Re: Will openjdk-8 go into buster?

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Fredrik Jonson wrote:

> I was under the impression that a RC-bug for bullseye on the package,
> would inhibit automatic transition from testing to bullseye.

Currently, testing == bullseye, so this sentence makes no sense.

> Anyway, I just noticed that adoptopenjdk has begun offering their openjdk 8
> builds as debian packages in a package repository of their own. Which is
> great, and completely meets my nice-to-have request without wasting the
> precious time of the Debian Java Team.

It’s not about time, it’s about Debian’s security guarantee.
If something ships in a stable release (e.g. buster), there
will be security support for it for multiple years, even if
upstream won’t support it any more — which makes us, hope‐
fully understandably, wary of shipping too much old software
in new stable releases (Debian is not a software museum).

That being said, I’d prefer a “Nachnutzung” (post-market?)
repository, in which I could build official-enough packages
of stuff not going to shipped later, for those needing it,
without the implied security warranties and all that, where
the packages are then built in the target distribution (can
be jessie, stretch and bullseye, in my case, since this kind
of porting goes back and forth) on all architectures, so the
shlib:Depends match.

But there isn’t such a thing in Debian currently; I provide
some stuff in my personal APT repository on my own server,
and packages coming from a DD are usually better than .deb
format files, produced Goddess knows how, from elseplace.

(Incidentally, for $orkplace (see the signature), I’ll need
to provide openjdk-8 builds for precise, trusty, xenial¹,
wheezy, jessie anyway, and was considering putting² those
into my repository already, so I’m likely to add buster,
as there appears to be interest³ from users.)⁴

① Doko provides official builds for xenial sometimes, and
  the current openjdk-8 is already provided, so no need,
  it’s on my list though.

② The disc space and network traffic might become an issue
  though, as those packages are *huge*. Even if I’m only
  building for i386, amd64 and (for sid, occasionally) m68k
  and/or x32… although… not OpenJDK.

③ https://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/debidx.htm although the
  precise/trusty/xenial builds are in a Launchpad PPA of mine.

④ Thanks Doko for keeping the package so easily buildable
  on so many so old releases ☻

bye,
//mirabilos
--