Packaging Jenkins for Debian and Ubuntu

Hi All

Over the current Ubuntu development cycle I have been working on
packaging Jenkins (nee Hudson) and new dependencies from source against
the existing set of Java libraries in the Debian and Ubuntu archives.

The packaging is now at the point where its pretty much all
built-from-source (aside from one package - see [2] - working with
upstream to get that resolved) and is functional on the current Ubuntu
development release - indeed Ubuntu QA are using it to execute automated
ISO and ec2 image testing for this release (see [4]).

To date all work has been done outside of the Ubuntu archive in PPA's
(see [3]) - this aligns to the objectives that we set for Ubuntu Natty
(see [1]) due to the large volume of packaging work that needed to be
undertaken.

I have been feeding back any patches to existing Java libraries over the
last few weeks (again see [2]) - these have mainly been around enabling
Maven artifact deployment.

I'm now at the point where I would like to start getting this work into
the Debian archive (and then Ubuntu for the next release) so that both
distributions can benefit from having this useful tool.

As you can see from [2] this is quite a large piece of work; so I'm
looking for developers and sponsors to help get the packages into an
acceptable state and uploaded into the Debian archive.  I've been trying
to get in contact with the ITP owner (see [0]) but have not had any
response in the last couple of weeks so I'm hoping that the Debian Java
team can help me out!

I don't think they are far off - I have been as thorough as possible in
terms of reviewing licensing etc.  However I appreciate that I've been
working quite closely with these packages for the last few months and
may be blind to any potential issues.

Most of the packaging has been built using maven-debian-helper/mh_make
so should be policy compliant - its pretty much lintian clean.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers

James

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Specs/HudsonSpec