Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

On 3 janv. 10, at 21:28, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 07:50:39PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> Thank you Osamu for the reply.  The Debian Wiki was more
>> straightforward. In any case, I restarted everything with Lenny and
>> changed my apt sources to Squeeze so that I could easily install
>> emacs23.
>> since I don't need a full desktop on that machine but only a
>> robust multilingual emacs installation.
>
> If you are looking for *robust*, I would stay with lenny with backported
> emacs23.

I did not know I could do that. Thank you.

> http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php
> http://packages.debian.org/source/lenny-backports/emacs23
>
> squeeze has been rocky for me since it has gone though X.org related
> major changes

Yes. I think I just found a major glitch: when I run dpkg-reconfigure console-data to set the Japanese layout, Squeeze systematically "forgets" about the setting after a reboot. It seems somebody else is having the exact same issue.

During the boot process, the console font changes and I think that is at that moment that the keymap get forgotten:

"Setting up console font and keymap... done." -> this message triggers a change in the console font during the boot. In lenny, that process does not exist and the keymap stays where it was set before reboot.

>> Now I am struggling with the various input problems but for the moment I have proper Japanese and French (-prefix) input working on Emacs. The default Japanese input system is not very smart so I am going to try Anthy.
>
> straigh anthy only or via scim-anthy?

Would you mind explaining the difference ? I saw a uim-anthy package too.

Since my machine is relatively low spec, I am looking for the best performance and the less tweaks possible...

Jean-Christophe Helary
fun: mac4translators.blogspot.com
work: www.doublet.jp (ja/en > fr)
tweets: @brandelune