web hosting setup recommendations

Hi

I am looking for ideas how to setup a virtual hosting environment. We are
currently looking at reimplementing our server setup (400+ sites). Replacing
our old RH kernel 2.2 server that has been serving well for a couple of years
(!).
Our OS of choice is Debian. We currently use Proftp with a .ftpacces group
based setup. Users in LDAP. A combination that causes some problems. Apart
from that we allow PHP (Safe Mode), what else can I tell.
Well, I'm looking for ideas how to improve on this. It wasn't too bad but it
could be better I guess.
I'm sure alot of you run web servers so I would be really interested in
hearing from you.

Thanks in advance and greetings,

mimo