Re: apt-get and mounting /tmp with noexec option

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:53:35AM +0100, Arnoud Warmerdam said
> Hi,
>
> I have mounted my /tmp directory (which has it's own partition) with the
> noexec option. The reason i did this, was that a poorly written cgi-script
> caused a binary to be downloaded and executed in /tmp. Luckily, the

noexec /tmp is NOT supported under Debian.  Also, are you aware that it
provides very little protection?  Try an experiment:

$ cp /bin/ls /tmp
$ /tmp/ls
[permission denied]
$ /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /tmp/ls
[directory listing]

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:       Yukon JSOFC3IP benelux bomb revolution smuggle CIA BATF