Re: maildir + courrier + /var/mail

Hi;

You could use a mirrored userdb, since you need /etc/passwd to contain real home dirs, you could create /etc/courier/userdb to contain the /var/mail/$user 's Maildir as the homedir that courier will see. In /etc/courier/authdaemonrc just have it use authuserdb _first_ in the authmodulelist variable to make imap/pop logins use this different home directory.

I don't know how active user changes would be made on your system, but if they're pretty static then a one time conversion is easy, if you need something to make changes often you could probably come up with a script to go through /etc/passwd (or /etc/shadow) and mirror usernames and passwords to the userdb file. For security make sure the userdb file is rw only for root, and you run makeuserdb after any changes to the userdb file to create a secure shadow and database file.

I may not be very clear, but the idea is there somewhere :).

~ Darryl

Fabrice Lorrain (home) wrote:

Hi,

I'm migrating an HPUX sendmail/qpopper server to a debian postfix/courier one.

The config is the following :
- authentification through flat /etc/passwd file,
- postfix delivering mail in /var/mail in maildir format
- courier-pop/courier-imap to access the mail in daemon mode.

I wasn't able to configure courier-pop to read in /var/mail without changing the homedir in /etc/passwd (which is not an option here). Did anybody succeed with such a config (ie having courier-pop read mail in /var/mail) ?

What works but doesn't suit my needs :
- LDAP auth + some attribut pointing to /var/mail/$login
- from the "postfix+mysql+courrier howto" seems you can do it
- changing the homedir path in /etc/passwd
- using "regular" maildir in /home/$login

Any idees/suggestions ?

    Fab